Thursday, March 06, 2008

My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams

John and Abigail Adams featured in a book about their lettersAs a blogger of US History I get a lot of people sending me information hoping I'll promote it here on my blog. Some of it I read, and figure it doesn't apply, others are more appropriate.

A few weeks ago I received an email, from a rep at Harvard University Press... she wrote:

"I thought that you might be interested in the recent HUP book,

MY DEAREST FRIEND: Letters of Abigail and John Adams Edited by Margaret A. Hogan and C. James Taylor of the Massachusetts Historical Society.

Soon to be featured in the March 2008 HBO miniseries, these letters not only detail the courtship and long marriage of a prominent presidential couple,they also offer keen observations and articulate commentary on world events at a critical time in American history.

If you think your readers may be interested in learning more about this famous couple, we welcome you to use—for free—the following features that we’ve created for MY DEAREST FRIEND."


And... I do think my readers would be interested. Because this one is very appropriate... for several reasons...

First of all is the fact that I'm reading David McCullough's 'John Adams', which is very entertaining and informative (see "What I'm reading" to the right). I'm not reading it as quickly as I think I should, but I've set a goal to complete it by a certain date, and will do my best to meet that goal. And will surely share my thoughts on Mr. Adams.

Paul Giamatti stars as John Adams in the HBO miniseriesThe second reason is the upcoming HBO Miniseries on John Adams starring Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney as John and Abigail. Though I don't have HBO I have toyed with the idea of getting it for one month to watch the 7 part miniseries, which starts Sunday, March 16 at 8pm. Don't know if Comcast would do that....

So, 'my readers', I present to you...

Edited by Margaret A. Hogan and C. James Taylor of the Massachusetts Historical Society.

Soon to be featured in the March 2008 HBO miniseries, these letters not only detail the courtship and long marriage of a prominent presidential couple,they also offer keen observations and articulate commentary on world events at a critical time in American history.

* http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/ADAMYD.html
* Ten-minute audio interview with co-editor Margaret Hogan about the letters
* Margaret Hogan\'s charming essay on the Adams\' courtship (730 words)
* PDF excerpt from MY DEAREST FRIEND
* Book TV video of three famous couples reading selected letters from

So there you have it...

I inquired to HUP about sending me the book to review it here... I haven't heard back. But would surely be interested. There has been one book I was sent to review called California Justice. You can read that review here. I will be highlighting several of the stories from the book in the future. Coincidentally, my review didn't bring justice to the book. I was busy and owe the publisher another shot...

PS - Thank you to all of those who have signed up for my feed. I created the link late last night and got 14 subscribers after day one. Thanks for reading. Please comment, I'd like to know who my readers are...

PSS - And if you're a publisher.. I'm always up for a good read.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment