Wednesday, April 02, 2008

One Man: Martin Luther King's 'Mountain Top' Speech

One man come in the name of love
One man come and go
One man come, he to justify
One man to overthrow

- Pride, U2

It was on this day, April 3, 1968 - when Martin Luther King made his famous Mountain Top speech. It was a speech about determination, perserverence and bravery. It was a speech where King, imagines that he is granted the ability to live in any era in history. He imagines himself with Moses in Eqypt parting the Red Sea and with Roman leaders. He dreams of being in the midst of the reneissance or with Abraham Lincoln at the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. But finally, he concludes, he'd ask "the Almighty" for the ability "to live just a few years in the second half of the twentieth century". If he's given this, he'd be happy.

King goes on to the conclude his speech with the following prophetic lines:


Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.
Little did he know, these words would be his last. King was shot and killed the next morning.




Here's a link to the entire transcription of Martin Luther King's "I've Been to the Mountain Top" Speech - http://www.afscme.org/about/1549.cfm

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment