Saturday, July 31, 2010

History Carnival #90 -

Hello, and welcome to the 90th History Carnival!

From the horse's mouth... " The History Carnival is a monthly showcase of blog writing about history, usually held on the 1st day of the month. It's hosted at a different blog each month to provide a variety of approaches and perspectives."

 I've received plenty of nominations from a few different view points, on plenty of different topics. 
 I had asked in my original post about hosting this carnival that blogs be submitted with my readers in mind.  I asked that the posts have some kind of information (lesson plan idea, resources, etc... that could be used in a classroom.  But I think this stipulation was ignored.  Because a "carnival" is simply a way to bring new blogs to my readers, I decided to keep any blog nominated that related to American History.

So here they are... enjoy.

Anthropology in Practice has some interesting information about the Hudson River in the late 17th century.  With the reconstruction of the World Trade Center, they've discovered a sea wall that was built in 1899.  This bit of archeology is especially interesting to me this summer.  I've taken two workshops this summer that have discussed archeology in and around Philadelphia.  I have a new found appreciation for archeology and the idea that underneath every building, there is probably remnants from another time.  This post is no exception.

Soldier's Mail is an excellent blog that publishes World War I letters.  I haven't read this blog, but was pleased when it was nominated.  There's a lot here to pull from.  This particular post is written from a soldier who was recently in a field hospital, and is expecting a furlough soon.  Teachers, see if you can use some of these in the classroom. 


Northwest History sticks it to the man... or... the museum. Read this open letter to curators at the Baron Von Munchausen home.  Though I don't know whether this is a farce or not.  The only Baron Von Munchausen I know is an exaggerated German baron who made up stories about himself that have became legend.  It's because of this, and the fact that I can't find any proof that a house like this exists, that I give you fair warning that what you're about to read may be a joke.  If it is true, it is an example of why we should all do our own research.

Religion in American History gives an overview of the book, Strangers and Pilgrims, Travelers and Sojourners.  It's an explanation of the reasoning for the book and the content and ideas behind the six volumes.

The Denver Post has great pictures of "America". The entry is entitled, America in Color from 1939-1943.  There was a lot happening in the world and in America in those five years... but the pictures don't reflect what might immediately come to mind. These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America’s rural and small town populations. Check them out... they're fascinating.

Civil War Memory is attempting to inform the public about a movie they haven't seen.  To their credit, the preface the post by clearly stating they haven't seen it, but do want to bring this Civil War tale to the public for discussion about its validity.  It's a movie about Richard Kirkland a Confederate Sargent who risked his own life to save the life of a Union soldier at the Battle of Fredericksburg.


Reader's Almanac has a Walt Whitman poem in commemoration of an 1860 meteor.  Reader's Almanac is the blog of the Library of America, which as cool books but for a pretty penny.  You can sometimes try them out for cheap, and then cancel.  This is what I did to get a collection of Abraham Lincoln's writings. The blog is commemorating the sesquicentennial of the American Civil War with a series of posts following the history of the war as it occurred 150 years ago.

World War II - Day by Day - this blog is a cool idea. It's a daily update of what was going on in the War on this day. A time line of sorts.  Might be good fodder for classroom discussions when studying the war.

And that does it...  thanks for checking in.  This is the spot where I'd normally inform you about the host for next month, but it appears as if the Carnival is taking a break for September.  Look for another host here in October

Related Posts by Categories



5 comments:

Ralph Luker said...

There's a problem with your link to World War II -- Day by Day.

klkatz said...

Thanks Ralph... I've corrected the link.

Katrina said...

The blog is "Northwest HISTORY" not "Northwest Territory".

Bettie said...

I like reading your blog. The information that I am looking for is here and you know even I am commenting out of the topic, it makes me glad that I've found your blog.

learning

Lynda Beck Fenwick said...

I am searching for blogs about the prairie, specifically about homesteading in Kansas. My own blog is at www.lynfenwick.blogspot.com in which a write about my adventures in researching and writing a book about a Kansas homesteader who kept a daily journal from 1884-1891. The Populist movement and the Farmers' Alliance were such interesting political times with so many similarities to today, and I would love to discover others blogging about this period.

Post a Comment